Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2012

Tri Tip!

OK, I'll admit I had never heard of Tri Tip until I moved to the Central Coast in CA. Through a lot of experimentation, we finally got a good meal out of it a few weeks ago.
This recipe is a little kitchen intensive, but can be all put together in about 30-45 minutes if you don't mind looking over a few things at once.
This is also another meal that leaves you feeling super satisfied, but not totally weighed down. It has a very high fiber and protein count, and not a lot of fat so by the end of the meal, you feel full, but not bursting at the seams. It also lasts all night, so you don't find yourself snacking all night.
I do find myself craving a sweet after a big meal like this, but an orange or apple makes and excellent dessert without undoing the day.



So this meal consisted of 3 parts: The Tri Tip, A ChickPea Mash, and Steamed Veggies.

Tri-Tip:
I marinated the steaks in a mixture of:
-Tarragon (1-2 tsp)
-Garlic powder (1 tsp)
-Dried Basil (1 tsp)
-S + P
-Balsamic Vinegar (1 Tbs)

While the steaks were marinating I caramelized a sweet onion with some fresh garlic and a pinch of s+p and tarragon, using a little more balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan. (takes about 20-30 minutes)

To cook the steak I seared them on each side in a very hot cast iron skillet with a little olive oil (About 2 min per side). Then I baked them in a 350 degree oven (just use the skillet and transfer directly to oven) for about 15 minutes (I'm not positive about the time so please check your steaks after about 10 minutes).

Once everything was plated, i topped the steaks with the onions and made a quick pan sauce using a little water (1 oz or a shot glass) and cream (about 2 tsp) and a little flour (1 tsp) and just a tad more balsamic vinegar (1-2 tsp). Mix together in pan and let simmer for a minute before serving.

Chickpea Mash:
1 can Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans)
2-3 Garlic cloves (about 1 Tbs)
S + P
about 1 Tbs Olive Oil
about 1oz Water

"Boil" the chopped garlic and drained chickpeas with olive oil and water. (takes about 5-10 minutes for chickpeas to get soft) then use a fork, masher, or food processor to mash up the whole mixture.
(This dish was excellent with some of the caramelized onions mixed in, but that's optional)

Steamed Veggies:
I used 1/2 a bag of frozen california mixed veggies in a microwave safe bowl covered with a paper towel. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes then pull out and add a little fat free italian dressing(to taste, but I used about 2 Tbs) and stir together. Put back in microwave for another 2-3 minutes and keep covered until ready to serve. May need some s + p or more dressing depending on personal preference.

So that was my tri-tip experience. I don't eat a whole lot of red meat, so don't expect a whole lot out of me on that front. :-)

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment