Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2012

Mango Salsa and Shrimp Tacos!


I made this dish a few weeks ago and it turned out really great. It is a fresh take on Shrimp tacos with a lot of cilantro, and a good kick of fruity sweetness. Everything comes together with some mellow avacado and rice and beans.


Sorry guys, I'm not good with measuring, I just kinda roll with it until it tastes how I like it...


So for the Mango Salsa:
2 Mangoes
2 Roma Tomatoes
1/2 large Red Onion
1 Pepper (I used yellow because it's all I had. Any color will do.)
handful Cilantro
2 Garlic cloves (about 2 teaspoons)
1 Avocado
1 Lime
1 Lemon
about 1 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
about 1-2 tbs Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

I diced all my veggies. I would do a layer mango, layer tomato, layer pepper, layer onion, then garlic, cilantro, lemon juice, lime juice, salt and pepper, then repeat the process. Once it was all layered up I added the avocado, oil, vinegar, lemon and lime juice and mixed it all together.
I covered and let sit in the fridge for a couple hours while I prepped everything else.

Shrimp Tacos:

Beans and Rice:
1 C white rice
1.75 C Water
about 2TBS fresh Cilantro
1 Garlic clove (about 1tsp)
S + P
1 Can Drained Black Beans

I cooked the rice as directed on the bag with all ingredients but the beans. Added the beans after rice finished cooking and allowed to warm for just a minute. Added a little more fresh cilantro once it was all done cooking.

Shrimp:
just boiled some medium shrimp with a little S+P.. no big deal.. Then I just removed the tails and did a rough chop.

To put the tacos together:
-warm some tortillas (can use wheat, corn, or flour, or whatever you like) with a couple slivers of pepper jack cheese (or mexican mix would work fine) in a 350 degree oven for just a few minutes (maybe 4-5)
-Pile on a couple spoonfuls of rice and beans.
-A couple spoonfuls of the mango salsa.
-A few shrimps
-A few slices of fresh avocado on top and VOILA!

The best part about this meal is that it's super healthy (minus the white rice and cheese) and once you finish, you feel satisfied without feeling full and bloated. It's got lots of fiber and protein without tons of calories so it's a good dinner that won't leave you feeling like poo before bed.

Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment